Safety tips after heavy rains, flooding
Heavy rainstorms swept through Southern Ontario on Aug. 4, 2014. The Burlington area was most affected. Environment Canada reported that between 100 and 150 mm of rain fell on the city, resulting in flooded roads and a number of residential water damage claims.
Make sure you have the right insurnace for water damage. Morison Insurance can help with this.
Here are some tips to help ensure your safety and protect your property:
- If water backs up into your basement, do not enter unless it is absolutely safe to do so. Avoid direct contact with human waste, dirty water and electrical lines.
- Wear protective gear if entering a part of your home that has been affected
- Turn off electrical power to the affected area if safe to do so
- Unplug and remove electrical appliances if safe to do so
- Move furniture or secure on raised blocks to help prevent water damage
- Ventilate and dry the area by opening windows and doors or use fans and dehumidifiers