How to Renovate Successfully
Many of us have heard a horror story about a home renovation gone wrong.
Here are some tips to help ensure your reno project is completed successfully.
- Get referrals from your friends and the contractors you are considering hiring.
- Use established contractors with a physical location (address), who have been in business for many years under the same name.
- Do a legal check to ensure the contractors are licensed in Ontario and insured in case of injury during the project.
- Contact us for advice about whether the renovations will require an adjustment to your home insurance policy.
- Ask your renovator if they are registered with WSIB and ask for their registration number.
- Ask your renovator if they have liability insurance and ask for a copy of their policy summary.
- Ask your renovator if they are a member of a trade association like Renovator’s Council or SAWDAC.
- Make sure you get a written contract with all components of the job clearly defined.