Get Your Duplex, Triplex & Fourplex Insurance Quote in Minutes
Personal Insurance

Duplex, Triplex & Fourplex Insurance in Ontario

Protect your home with the best coverage for your needs.
  • Know what type of insurance you need based on how you use your property.
  • Have peace of mind knowing you're covered in the event of an accident or natural disaster
  • Protect your possessions and family members with comprehensive coverage
Complete the form or call 1-800-463-8074 to speak with a licensed broker about Duplex, Triplex & Fourplex Insurance today.

Ontario Duplex, Triplex and Fourplex Insurance Made Simple

Whether you live in a duplex, triplex or fourplex, your home is very much your castle and you'll want to do everything you can to protect it. After all, your home is your most valuable asset and it's important it's kept safe and sound with the right insurance policy. 

There are many ways your home can get damaged, whether from extreme weather events such as a lightning strike causing a fire or a flood, or through an accident, such as your teenager backing the car up into the garage. Not to mention, theft and break-ins can create financial loss through irreplaceable possessions being stolen or through damage to your home during the burglary.

Suffice it to say, it's important to insure your home. But what kind of insurance do you need for your duplex, triplex or fourplex?

Navigating through all the available insurance options can be frustrating and confusing. You shouldn't have to do so alone. Rather, by partnering with a dedicated insurance broker, such as a Morison Insurance team member, you get the best of both worlds: comprehensive insurance ideal for your unique situation, and outstanding customer service that makes you feel like a part of the Morison Insurance family. We've built relationships with dozens of insurance companies, and our brokers will work with them to get competitive quotes with the goal of finding you the best duplex, triplex or fourplex insurance policy possible. Your broker will review the quotes with you, answer any questions you might have, and help you choose the policy that best meets your needs.

The type of insurance you'll need for your duplex, triplex or fourplex will vary depending on how you use your property. Thus, we've broken down each style of home below. Keep reading to discover more about the kinds of insurance available to you, and what variety you'll need depending on if you're an owner, renter or landlord. If you have questions, feel free to contact the Morison Insurance team at any time. Our expert, friendly brokers are always happy to help. 

Duplex, Triplex and Fourplex Insurance: What's the Difference?

If you live in a duplex, triplex or fourplex, then you may be wondering how your insurance might be different from a person living in a detached, single family home—particularly because you share a wall with a neighbour. 

However, on the whole what type of insurance you need is actually very similar to what a single family detached homeowner might need—depending on how you use the property. If you own the property and reside there, depending on the insurance carrier, you will need homeowners insurance or rental property insurance. f you rent the unitsout to only tenants, then you will need landlord insurance and your renters will need a renters insurance policy. 

Each of these three types of insurance offer a wide range of different coverage options. We've outlined a few of the coverages available to Ontario residents living in a shared complex below.

Rental Property Insurance

Only available to Ontario residents who actually own their duplex, triplex or fourplex—whether you own it outright or are contributing to a mortgage—home insurance is a type of property insurance that covers certain losses and damage. Standard home insurance policies include the following:

Dwelling Coverage

This type of insurance covers damage or loss to the actual building, or dwelling you live in. Duplex owners are protected from a list of insured perils that usually includes accidents, damage from weather/storms, certain types of water damage, fire protection and theft.

Personal Liability Coverage

If a third-party is injured on your property, or you're found responsible for unintentionally damaging another person's property, personal liability insurance will protect you from the financial strain of a lawsuit. Personal liability insurance is especially important for homeowners living in shared complexes, such as a duplex, triplex or fourplex, because you may accidentally damage your neighbour's property and find yourself in legal trouble.

Contents Insurance

Your property's physical structure is not the only part of the building that you need to insure. You also need to protect all your valuable possessions that are within the duplex, triplex or fourplex. For instance, this could include your clothing, furniture, electronics, books, jewellery and collectibles. It's important to note that even a comprehensive insurance policy may limit the amount an insurance company will cover for specific items that are stolen, damaged or lost. By speaking with your Morison Insurance broker, you can gain a clear idea regarding exactly what is and is not covered on your unique homeowners insurance policy. They may suggest completing a home inventory list so they can make sure your properly protected. Often, a floater policy is required to insure high-value items, such as jewellery or rare antiques. 

Optional Add-Ons

Like with any insurance policy, you don't have to settle for the bare minimum coverage—in fact, the team at Morison Insurance specializes in finding comprehensive coverage that truly keeps your valuable assets safe and sound. While different types of coverage protect you from different perils, with additional coverages you can tailor your homeowners insurance policy to your unique needs. There are many different kinds of add-ons available, including:

  • Overland water coverage
  • Sewer backup damage coverage
  • Ground water damage coverage
  • Guaranteed replacement coverage
  • Personal identity theft coverage
  • Jewellery protection
  • By-law change protection
  • Earthquake coverage

It is important to note that add-on options will vary based on the insurance company. 

Renters Insurance

Also called tenants insurance, if you rent your duplex, triplex or fourplex, then it's paramount that you have renters insurance. While you're not directly responsible for the building itself (this would fall under the jurisdiction of your landlord or the property owner), you will still want to keep your valuable possessions safe from an accident, fire or theft. 

Tenants insurance can also protect you from personal liability exposures. Again, this is essential for individuals living in a shared complex where one or more walls is attached to your neighbour's property. If you are sued, this policy will pay for your defence and any damages awarded to the injured party.

It's also worth noting that tenants insurance will help you build merit with your insurer. For example, if you've been a loyal customer for many years and never made a claim as a tenant, you may qualify for discounts on a homeowners insurance policy if you ever choose to buy. These discounts could include a claims-free or loyalty discount. 

While only 50% of Canadians have tenants insurance, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, it's by far the wiser, more responsible choice. Not to mention, renters insurance is quite affordable—much more affordable than having to pay out-of-pocket for lost items or damages. 

Contents Coverage

Similar to homeowners contents coverage, this policy protects your personal items and belongings, such as electronics, clothing furniture, sports equipment and other items you own in your rented duplex, triplex or fourplex. There are limits to this type of coverage, so it's very important to let your insurance broker know what belongings and contents you have. This will ensure you have adequate coverage and the coverage limits in your renters insurance policy are perfectly suited to your needs.

Additional Living Expenses Coverage

If there is a fire or a burst pipe in your property and you're not able to live in it until repairs are complete, you'll need to find a temporary place to live. An additional living expenses insurance policy will cover reasonable costs you incur until you're able to either move back into your duplex, triplex or fourplex, or find another permanent rental property. This coverage's specific terms are outlined in your policy, so be sure you go over it carefully with your Morison Insurance broker to have the best understanding of what it entails.

Liability Coverage

If a third-party is injured at your residence, or you cause unintentional damage to another person's property, then you are protected in the event your neighbour or the third-party takes legal action against you. This includes coverage for legal fees and any settlements/damages that you're required to pay out as a result of the injury or damage. 

Landlord Insurance

If you own a duplex, triplex or fourplex that is not your primary residence and you rent it out full-time, then you need landlord insurance to protect your investment property. Landlord insurance financially protects your rental property in the event of an insured loss or damage. While your tenants are responsible for insuring their own possessions with a renters insurance policy, you are responsible for insuring the building itself. This coverage also protects any possessions you own, such as lawnmowers, major appliances and snowblowers. It protects you from paying out-of-pocket for incurred expenses after an accident or weather event damages the building or your personal property.

It's very important to note that a standard home insurance policy does not cover your rental property. As mentioned earlier, this primarily comes down to use. You're not living in the building, so your home insurance coverage doesn't extend to the rental property. Without the appropriate coverage in place, all damages and losses—including liability claims—associated with your rental property would be denied by your insurer. 

Vacant Properties

Your Morison Insurance broker will be able to walk you through the specifics of your unique landlord insurance policy for any duplexes, triplexes and/or fourplexes that you own. However, it's important to know that your coverage needs will change if the rental property is vacant. There is significantly more risk exposure when a building is vacant, because there is no tenant to take care of it. Thus, certain coverages are limited or removed while the property is vacant. A vacancy permit will be applied to the property during this time. Any coverages that were removed can be added back onto the policy once a tenant takes possession of the rental property.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions regarding your duplex, triplex or fourplex insurance? Whether you're an owner, renter or landlord, our skilled brokers can help. Keep reading to see if we answer your questions here, or feel free to reach out to one of our brokers for more information today. We're happy to help!

How Does Duplex Home Insurance Work?

Duplex, triplex and fourplex insurance works differently depending on your use of the building. For instance, duplex owners will have a policy similar to any other homeowner's insurance policy. Likewise, renters need tenant insurance, and property owners leasing the building full-time will require landlords insurance. It's not so much the type of building that impacts your insurance, as how it is being used.

How Much is Insurance for a Duplex?

The cost of insurance for your duplex/triplex/fourplex varies. Usually renters insurance is less than homeowners insurance, because renters are not responsible for insuring the building itself. There are also other factors that influence cost, such as previous claims you've made, how much coverage you need, and your property's location. A licensed Morison Insurance broker will be able to walk you through what's included in your unique policy, and find a range of competitive quotes from multiple insurance providers.

What is the Best Insurance Company for a Duplex?

Great question! At Morison Insurance, we've partnered with Ontario's leading insurance providers to bring you comprehensive coverage at competitive rates. We'll work with you to find the best insurance company for your needs, so you can have peace of mind knowing your home is adequately protected.

How Do I Get Duplex, Triplex or Fourplex Insurance?

Our Morison Insurance brokers know duplex, triplex and fourplex insurance. Whether you're a renter, homeowner or landlord, we can help you find the best coverage possible. By choosing Morison Insurance, you choose dedicated service that puts your peace of mind first. We'll always take time to answer your questions, provide comprehensive information and will never pressure you into making a decision. To get started today, we invite you to give our expert team a call at 1-800-463-8074. Alternatively, you can get a quote now online.


This content is written by our Morison Insurance team. It is provided for general information only. Insurance needs differ from person to person, and this article is therefore not a substitute for professional advice about your individual insurance needs which can be obtained by speaking to one of our brokers.

Get Your Duplex, Triplex & Fourplex Insurance Quote in Minutes
Personal Insurance
Have a Question?
Ask us anything about Duplex, Triplex & Fourplex Insurance! Call 1 (800) 463-8074 to speak with a licensed broker and get the correct answers today.
Not Your Average Insurance Broker!
morison insurance trophy icon
Award-Winning Insurance Broker
morison insurance handshake icon
Trusted Provider For
100+ Years
morison insurance 5 stars icon
3,000+ 5-Star
Online Reviews
morison insurance claims icon
On-Site Claims
Specialist Team
morison insurance save icon
We Save Our
Clients Money
“There is no doubt why Morison Insurance was awarded Ontario Brokerage of the Year. Morison Insurance provides excellent customer service, very competitive prices and personalized policies that actually appeal to your own lifestyle.”
Get In Touch
At Morison Insurance we represent dozens of Canada’s best insurance companies. We will shop to get you the best insurance for your individual needs.
Morison Insurance Brokers Inc.
Let Us Get You a Quote Today
Personal Insurance
Insurance Partner Logo
Copyright © 2024 Morison Insurance Brokers Inc.
Morison Insurance
Based on 3379 reviews
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram