Why Should I Work With Home And Auto Insurance Brokers?
There are many benefits to you when working with home and auto insurance brokers. From their selection, to their experienced knowledge and training, insurance brokers will advocate for you to get you the best coverage at the most affordable rate. As an insurance customer looking to combine your home and car insurance, you have many great options and discounts to benefit from. Our goal here, is to provide you an overview of what you should be taking note of and considering as you think of working with your next insurance representative.
What Do Home And Auto Insurance Brokers Do For Me?
Home and car insurance brokers are focused on looking after providing insurance for two of the largest financial commitments many of us make – our home and our vehicle(s).
Home and auto insurance brokers can get quotes for your home only, your vehicles only or both your home and vehicles. What’s more is that the best insurance brokers provide a wide range of insurance products beyond just home insurance and car insurance. They should also offer business insurance, cottage insurance, boat insurance, RV insurance, travel trailer insurance, special events insurance for weddings or parties, first-time homeowners insurance , recreational insurance, life insurance and more. Generally speaking, insurance customers find it easier to work with an insurance broker who can protect all of their assets, as opposed to having to work with multiple different insurance companies for each individual item.
Can You Save Money By Bundling Insurance Policies?
Yes, home and auto insurance brokers can help you save money by bundling your home and car insurance. In reality, savings from bundling can turn out to be quite sizable, in some case several hundreds of dollars.
Bundling means having a number of your insurance policies with one insurance company. You can bundle your home, your vehicles, your business, your recreational items and more.
Here are some of the big benefits of bundling your insurance:
- You can save. Savings on your insurance can be substantial. Generally the largest savings are on auto insurance costs. This is a good thing for customers because auto insurance is almost always more expensive than home, condo or rental apartment insurance.
- You can get extra perks. Some insurance companies offer perks beyond those they would be receive if the customer purchased insurance with separate policies at different companies.
- Reduced fees are available. Some companies offer reduced service fees for those with bundled policies and who are paying monthly.
- Less hassle at renewal time. Bundled insured items can renew on the same date and you don’t need to keep tabs on several renewal dates. Think “once and done”.
- Add more insured items. You can add additional items – maybe you buy another car or you want to insure your partner’s car in the bundle to potentially save more – to your policy and have the same renewal date as your other insured items.
- Bundle lots of insurance products to potentially save even more. Bundling is not limited to personal insurance items, it can include other items such as your cottage, your recreational vehicle, your business or commercial insurance or your business vehicle.
- Bring other items onto the policy when they renew to save more. Some insurance companies will offer your savings immediately on the promise to bring other items to the policy when these come up for renewal.
Here is another important thing to know when you are working with home and auto insurance brokers, whether you are bundling your insurance or not: Being charged a penalty for changing your policy before it expires is not necessarily a bad thing in every situation. Even though you may be charged a penalty for an early policy cancellation, you could very well save in excess of the penalty by switching to another policy.
How Much Experience Do Home And Auto Insurance Brokers Have?
The experience home and auto insurance brokers have varies by individual broker. However, all home and auto insurance brokers in Ontario are licenced by the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO)
All RIBO-licensed brokers have taken insurance training and passed exams and they must also continue their education by meeting annual training and education requirements. This training is required to maintain their insurance licence.
Many brokers also earn other insurance designations such as their Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP), Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP), and Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB).
Where Do I Find Home And Auto Insurance Brokers?
While there are many ways to find a home and auto insurance broker to work with, a few options are to research online through Google or Bing. For additional resources, The Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO) and the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada (IBAC) list insurance brokers across Ontario and Canada respectively.
When looking for the right home and auto insurance broker, consider the following:
- Go with a broker that is large enough to shop at several home and auto insurance companies to get a variety of quotes for you
- Go with a broker with solid experience and that has been recognized by the insurance industry for its excellence. Have they won provincial or national awards or achieved recognition that provides you the confidence that you’re working with the right insurance partner?
- Go with a broker that is focused on you, the customer. You should be at the centre of everything they do.
- Go with a broker with great reviews. Investigate their online reviews on Google, Facebook and Yellow Pages. As a general rule, the more 5-star reviews they have for their customers, the better service you can expect.
- If you like to follow your favourite brands on social media be sure to see if they are promoting useful content on their YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook channels.
Are Insurance Brokers Expensive?
Insurance brokers provide insurance expertise, independent insurance advice, a variety of insurance product options and much more at no additional cost to customers.
Your best insurance is from an insurance broker. They work for their customers not for an insurance company, as is the case with some insurance providers. For more on the advantages of working with a broker, check out this article written by the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada.
How Do I Get Prices From Home And Auto Insurance Brokers?
Getting prices from a home and auto insurance broker should be a very easy process. Give them a call, fill out their online form, or send them a text message or email. Regardless of how you choose to reach out, be sure you pay attention to how quickly they respond to you, especially if this is your first interaction with them. Remember, you want to work with an insurance broker who will be there when you need them most! If they aren’t there to answer your questions quickly when you are inquiring about your car and home insurance, can you rely on them to be there for you if you ever do go through the unfortunate experience of having a claim?
Do Insurance Brokers Offer Discounts?
There are many discounts offered by insurance companies. The discounts do vary among companies, however, as long as a company offers a discount and you qualify, you can save, and the savings can add up!
Check out a list of our most popular discounts available from home and auto insurance brokers.
Here are a few other ways you may be able to save on your auto insurance:
- You can save on auto insurance by participating in a driving program offered by some insurance companies that rewards good drivers. These programs involve using an app that will track your good driving and reward you with savings. In some cases, drivers can save as much as 30% on their auto insurance. With the average auto insurance rate being between $1,500 and $1,900, a 30% savings is substantial. In the case of a $1,500 premium, the savings could be as high as $450! In the case of a $1,900 auto insurance premium, the savings could be as high as $570!
- You can save on your auto insurance by participating in a pay-as-you-go program offered by some insurance companies.
Consider contacting a home and auto insurance broker to learn more about how much programs like the ones mentioned above could save you.
Below are a few additional ideas on how you may be able to lower your home insurance costs:
- Tell your broker when you have done updates to your home. Sometimes home updates can result in insurance savings. Installing a monitored alarm system, installing new wiring or installing new plumbing are just three examples of updates that could lower your premium.
- Have you installed a tankless water heater? Savings may be available to you if you no longer have a water tank.
- Have you installed a sewer backup valve or a preventative measure to limit potential water damage?
Water and fire are the biggest damage-causing threats to your home. If you have done work or made changes that help to reduce these threats, insurance companies may offer additional savings to you. Every penny saved counts!
What Are Some Tips For Choosing The Best Home And Auto Insurance Brokers?
The best home and auto insurance brokers care about providing great insurance products and value, and are dedicated to looking after each customer personally with exceptional insurance service.
This is our focus at Morison Insurance. Our brokers are home and auto owners too. They have concerns just like yours. Will my home insurance provide protection in case of fire? Will my auto insurance protect me if I am injured or someone else is injured in an accident? We know that every person and their circumstances are unique. We are trained insurance professionals ready to help with your insurance needs.
Who Do Home And Auto Insurance Brokers Represent?
Home and auto insurance brokers represent general insurance companies that provide home and auto insurance. Brokers reach out to these insurance companies to get home and auto insurance for customers.
There are many general insurance companies, also known as property and casualty insurance companies, across Canada. General insurance companies provide all types of insurance except life and health insurance.
Categories of general insurance include auto insurance, property insurance (personal and business properties), business insurance and liability insurance.
Insurance is all about protection: managing risk and providing compensation in the event of a loss. Some insurance coverage is required by law – auto insurance is an example of this.
You can purchase insurance directly from an insurance company, from an agent working for a company or from an insurance broker who does not work for any insurance company, is independent, provides you with several insurance policy options and quotes (and therefore several choices of what insurance you want to buy) and is trained to provide you with professional insurance advice.
It is important to know that insurance protection varies substantially among companies. You should know what protection you are buying when you purchase your insurance.
Home And Auto Insurance Brokers With The Best Reviews.
At Morison Insurance we are proud of the many positive reviews our home and auto insurance brokers have received, and we thank every customer who has provided a review.
Reviews can be found on Google, Facebook and Yellow Pages. You can also read our customers’ testimonials on our website.
How Do Home And Auto Insurance Brokers Get Quotes?
When you contact home and auto insurance brokers for a quote, they will ask you some questions about the home or car you are looking to insure. After receiving that information from you, the broker should immediately reach out to insurance companies to get several quotes for you/ They will provide you with the quotes and discuss the coverage options being offered. You can compare the quotes, discuss the options with the home and auto insurance broker and you can decide which insurance policy suits you best.
For an auto insurance quote, among the details required to get a quote are your driver’s licence, the make, year and model of your vehicle, how long you have been licensed, and your driving record details – such tickets or accidents, if any.
For a home insurance quote, among the details needed for a quote are your home address, how old approximately your house is, and information on any updates made to your home.
Which Home And Auto Insurance Brokers Have The Best Coverage?
Insurance coverage options are provided by the insurance companies, not the home and auto insurance brokers, and coverages vary among companies.
It is important to know what coverage options are included in the quotes you receive. It is also important to know the policy limitations or exclusions. Additional and enhanced coverages are available should you require them and auto and home insurance brokers can help you with this.
Which Home And Auto Insurance Brokers Have The Best Rates?
A benefit of working with home and auto insurance brokers is you get to compare insurance prices from several insurance companies. This means you have choices and options. You can choose which company provides the best insurance value for you – best protection and price.
Keep in mind that the cheapest insurance may not necessarily be the best insurance for you. Be sure you are getting the insurance protection you need at a good price – this is good value. There is no point in buying insurance that does not provide adequate protection to meet your specific needs. This is another area where home and auto insurance brokers will be helpful. Insurance can sometimes be complicated and difficult to understand, but the best brokers are trained and experienced in helping to explain terms, details, coverage options and more to you.
The best home and auto insurance brokers get competitive rates because they are seasoned insurance shoppers. As an example of this, let’s say you need a new pair of shoes and you go to a mall. Do you go to one store or do you check out shoes at a few stores before you buy? We are betting the majority of people will check out at least a few stores. That’s what the best insurance brokers do as well! They represent many insurance companies and will shop around at various insurance “stores” for you so you know what is available.
Basically, when you contact an insurance broker it’s like shopping at a “mall” of insurance companies except they go to the “insurance mall” for you. All you need to do is contact them and ask for quotes on your insurance. It’s super convenient, fast and easy.
Morison Insurance Brokers Serve All Of Ontario.
Our Morison Insurance brokers serve all of Ontario! We have bricks and mortar offices in seven communities – Hamilton, St. Catharines, Oakville, Haldimand (Hagersville), Simcoe, Waterford and Port Dover. We are also among the most digitally-able brokers in Ontario and we can provide you with excellent service whether you are in St. Thomas, Windsor, Ottawa, Timmins, Toronto, Parry Sound, Kenora, Fort Erie or any place between or beyond.
We are at your service online, by email, by text or in person at our offices and look forward to discussing your insurance needs and providing you with the best insurance products, competitive prices and best-in-class service.
Fill out the form on this page or call our home and auto insurance experts to get your quote started.
This blog is provided for information only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Please call our Morison Insurance brokers at 1-289-768-7781 for more information.