Be Careful in the Kitchen
With the holiday season just around the corner, this is the time of year that your kitchen is being used the most. You may be planning a home cooked holiday meal with your family or baking cookies for Santa. Please ensure that you are taking preventative measures to stay safe in the kitchen.
November 24-30 is National Home Fire Safety Week and Morison Insurance would like to remind you to be extremely cautious while cooking in the kitchen. Cooking is the lead cause of home fires in Canada, and the holiday season tends to bring a significant amount more of cooking, baking and general oven use.
It is important to never leave food unattended on the stove. Cooking requires your full attention as a fire can be sparked very quickly and can spread even quicker. Be proactive and watch your food so in the event of a fire, you are able to act quickly and assertively before it can escalate.
Here are some tips on how to handle a fire, should one occur:
- If at any time you feel endangered or are unable to control the fire, evacuate the house and call the fire department. Make sure your family and guests know the fire escape route and that they are able to get out of the house safely in the event of a fire.
- If a fire starts in your oven or microwave, close the door and turn it off. The lack of oxygen will eventually smother the flames and prevent them from feeding and growing.
- If a fire happens in a pan, use the oven mitt to put the lid on and then remove the pan from the heat source. The fire should fizzle out due to the lack of oxygen. If the pan does not have a lid or you are unable to put it on safely, use a fire extinguisher and aim at the base of the fire.
- Grease fires can be very dangerous. Never use water to try and put one out, as the grease will get repelled and you risk spreading the fire further. Use baking soda or salt (but never flour) and use a large wet cloth to smother the fire.
- Never swat at or blow on a fire. The air movement is more likely to spread the fire than it is to put it out.
- Make sure your hair is tied up and you are not wearing baggy/loose clothing when cooking in the kitchen. These can accidentally catch fire.
Morison Insurance wishes you a safe and happy holidays.
**With files from the Canada Safety Council.
This blog is provided for information only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Please call our Morison Insurance brokers at 1-800-463-8074 for more information.