Disasters can happen anytime! Water damage has replaced house fires as the most expensive source of home insurance claims.
The following are different types of water protection coverage’s offered by most insurance companies:
Overland Water – Overflow of a lake or river, heavy rain or rapid snowmelt that enters your home from a point at or above ground level.
Sewer back up – Water that enters the home through the sewer drain. Sewer back up often happens because the city sewage systems becomes backed up and overflows into the sewer drain
Ground Water – Ground or surface water that enters or leaks into your home through basement floors, foundation, or sidewalls
Service Line – As a homeowner damage to underground piping or wiring caused by tree roots, cracks, clogs would be your responsibility to repair or replace.
Water Damage to your home can be very stressful and disruptive even if you have insurance.
Here are a few steps you can take to reduce that risk in your home:
- Make sure all downspouts discharge at least three meters away from your home’s foundations
- Ensure sewer grates are open and clear away debris like dirt and leaves
- Place plastic covers over window wells
- Store items in the basement in plastic bins up off the floor so they aren’t damaged if water enters the basement
- Install a sump-pump which helps keep the area under your home dry by removing the water that accumulates under the home.
- Install a back water valve which helps to prevent water coming back into the home from the sewer drain. These valves cost between $2,500 and $3,000, some municipalities offer to reimburse for the cost of the installation.
- Switch from a standard water tank to a tank less water heater. Tank less water heaters instantly heat water as it flows through the device and do not retain any water internally except for what is in the heat exchanger coil.
Call our Morison Insurance brokers for a review of your current insurance policy to insure you are properly covered.
– Written by our brokers Jessica and Tanya
This blog is provided for information only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Please call our Morison Insurance brokers at 1-800-463-8074 for more information.